Oops! You’ve noticed a crack or chip in your windshield. And now you’re wondering how to fix it. Will you need a new windshield? Or will a less expensive windshield repair work just as well? I will provide a few criteria to consider when deciding which course of action to choose. Ask yourself these three questions:
- Is the area of damage smaller than a quarter?
- If the chip in your windshield is smaller than a US quarter, it can be repaired and a windshield replacement will not be necessary. The repair process will use state of the art technology to extract the air in the break and replace it with an ultraviolet cured plastic resin, which bonds the glass back together, reduces visibility of the break, and is guaranteed to last for the lifetime of the vehicle.
- How long ago did the damage occur?
- The windshield repair process is most effective if it is done soon after the damage occurred. The longer you wait, the less likely the visible damage will disappear. To keep contaminates out and improve the likelihood of a successful windshield repair, you can place a piece of scotch tape over the damage until you can arrange for the repair to be performed. The sooner this is done, the better.
- Is the damage in your line of vision?
- If the damage is in the line of vision of the driver, it could create a distraction. Due to the safety risk associated with the distraction, I usually recommend a full replacement. In addition to the safety concern, the vehicle may not pass inspection.
If your insurance policy includes glass coverage, your insurance company may waive your insurance deductible for the repair. If you are paying for these repairs out of you own pocket, the fee is typically very reasonable.
About the Author: Brian Cundiff is the President and CEO of Orange Blossom Auto Glass, Inc. He understands the importance of quality products, quality services, and is committed to optimizing the customer experience at all levels. With a record of over 50,000 windshield replacements, a 5-star rating and AAA Approval, Orange Blossom Auto Glass is Florida’s Favorite Auto Glass Company.
A Message from Brian:
“…If you have elected to pursue a windshield repair, my team would be happy to inspect the damaged area and make the appropriate repairs. If you have decided that a windshield replacement is the best option, we can assure that your new windshield will be installed with the latest technology and by the best auto-glass technicians in Florida who average over 20 years of experience. Additionally, we provide a 50-dollar deductible coupon if you file a claim with your insurance company for the new windshield. We can assure that you will drive with confidence after a replacement from Orange Blossom Auto Glass.
In all of our services, we can guarantee use of the latest and safest technology and are committed to serving you with excellence.”